Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday Morning Odds & Ends...

Well, it's happened: I was on the New Hampshire Public Radio program The Exchange, talking for about ten minutes about the Danish Mohammed cartoon controversy, the context of comics history and censorship, and a little on Taboo. There wasn't time to counter many of the points raised earlier in the program by the other guests -- including the spreading misnomer that the notorious Falwell vs. Flynt case that made it to the Supreme Court was over a cartoon (it was a rude but clearly-labelled-as-such satiric ad using photos, not cartoons) -- and a few things I was hoping to touch upon went by the wayside. Did the best I could in the few minutes I had to work with -- you can now check it out yourself at
  • NHPR's The Exchange.


  • For those interested, I'll post my thoughts (and some surprising research results) on the Danish cartoon matter later in the week, as time permits.
    ____

    The AP online story headlines how the victim of Vice President Dick Cheney's hunting accident is "very stable" -- what I want to know is, how stable is Cheney?

    Of course, we've wanted to know that for a long time...

    2 Comments:

    Blogger bob said...

    Man, this Cheney thing has been pretty bizarre, hasn't it.

    This was an image I couldn't resist taking a few minutes to photoshop up.

    2/14/2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Okay, so I just finished listening to your npr gig. As you said, thank god for the internet -- I can sit down here in the no snow and listen to nhpr. It was good to hear your voice.
    Although you had little time I can't believe how much crazy ass shit you packed into a few minutes: headlight comics,Illse, She-Wolf of the SS, Dr. Wirtham,
    the word booseums, your childhood punishment for drawing, Maus, jailed cartoonists in England, public book burnings in america, oranges in the turban, and the word "um,," about fourty times. Still, public speaking lessons aside, a masterful performance. Better than that boring ass political cartoonist who has all the satiric balls of a eunich.

    2/15/2006  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home